“Is there a link between depression and spirituality?” (Free Download)

Depression and spirituality has a greater connection than our modern world would like to admit. As we’ve mentioned before, there are three main causes of depression: lack of physical health and lack of emotional health are the two most widely understood. But the third cause has been under acknowledged. It is the lack of spiritual health. Depression and spirituality has a forgotten link that reveals a powerful secret.

depression and spirituality

On this page...

I have a free report for you that goes into greater explanation.

Here's the medical research on this...

The Journal of The World Psychiatric Association records that...

"Spiritually-augmented therapy is more effective than CBT [mainstream therapy] in activating feelings of hope and life satisfaction. It is also shown in randomized controlled trials to reduce relapse rates and enhance the quality of functional recovery. The reduction in relapse rates suggests that fostering the search for meaning may sometimes help people develop their character to new levels in which they have reduced vulnerability to future episodes."

Dr. Bill Gillham writes about the secrets on depression and spirituality…

“A practitioner who always treats depression as the problem is missing the mark. Just as fever is but a symptom of the cause, so it is with depression. Depression is a symptom of a deeper cause. Most counselors would agree that less than 5% of depression cases have physically induced depression which does not respond to counseling. PMS, hypoglycemia, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, thyroid or blood sugar problems, etc. are physical factors which can cause depression. Counseling such a [person] with spiritual truth can subject him to even greater despair because although he may see the truth which sets a man free, he can’t appropriate it. However, the remaining 95% of the depressed [patients] can experience victory solely through spiritual counsel.”

The summary…?

Basically you have a 5% chance that you are suffering from depression because of a physical illness and a 95% chance that you are suffering from a link of depression and spirituality - a lack of spiritual health.

In my free download below, I share with you my own experience of depression and spirituality and what it took to overcome...

But, first Joe, a former depression sufferer writes…

“I've come to appreciate the value of holistic approaches to treating mental and physical disorders. Eating a balanced, healthy diet is essential for any condition. It also helps to engage in some sort of physical activity like aerobics, hiking, swimming, etc. To be mentally fit, you've got to be physically fit so eat right and stay active.

I've also come to realize that having a sound relationship with God is essential... I now find that I'm relying more on spiritual guidance and less on medical intervention to help me deal with life's pitfalls.

In the final analysis, living a healthy life requires one to be physically, mentally and spiritually fit. If any one or all of those are lacking, life becomes unbearable. But if all three are in sound condition, then life becomes a full and rewarding experience, which is what it should be.” – Joe

You and I are created to have a relationship with God, and so depression and spirituality is definitely a third option you need to consider. If you are physically and emotionally taking care of yourself and you are still suffering from depression, you may be suffering from isolation from your loving Creator. (You’re not the only one…)

Author Donald Miller puts it wonderfully like this:

“God bestows three blessings on man: to feed him like the birds, dress him like flowers, and befriend him as a confidant. Too many take the first two and neglect the last.

Sooner or later you figure out life is constructed specifically and brilliantly to squeeze a man into association with the Owner of heaven. It is a struggle, with labor pains and thorny landscape, bloody hands and a sweaty brow, moments of ache and desire. All this leads to God…

Life is a dance toward God… And the dance is not so graceful as we might want. While we glide and sing our practiced sway, God crowds our feet, bumps our toes, and scuffs our shoes. So we learn to dance with the One who made us. And it is a difficult dance to learn, because its steps are foreign.” (from "Through Painted Deserts")

The answer to depression and spirituality…

You and I are created to know God and so a life without him is an empty and lonely life. Simply, it is a depressed life.

Even if you’ve read our free e-course, you’ve already begun to learn about the physical and emotional cures for depression.

For curing the third cause of depression:

(depression and spirituality)...

Consider these words penned by King Solomon of the East around 700 B.C…

“All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast.

Better a little with the fear of the LORD than great wealth with turmoil.”

King Solomon was once recorded to have been the richest man in the world and despite his riches; he learned that if he did not draw near to God, all his wealth could not bring him happiness. Depression and spirituality was linked back in 700 B.C!

Wouldn’t it be wonderful, if you could just take your depression and put it in someone’s hand and be done with it? Wouldn’t be wonderful if it was that easy?

God has always offered to us an abundant life of love, joy and peace and yet we have this notion that we can do this living thing on our own strength.

Depression and spirituality has the most common connection and yet our world fails to recognize this. I found that God promises to strengthen us during times of depression and wants to give us peace and joy…

“So, how do you draw near to God and allow him to change your life?”

Below you can access the free download where I share with you how depression and spirituality was a link in my own life and how asking God to restore my health and drawing near to him has made all the difference.

After reading my story, Ada wrote...

“I just want to thank you. These tips have really changed my life in less than a month. I honestly believe that God has brought this website over my path for recovery. The work you done is wonderful and a true inspiration. If I think where I was a few weeks back, I can't believe I am out of that hole. God will bless you for this wonderful work you are doing. You have inspired me so. Thanks again.” - Ada

Below, one of my spiritual direction clients emailed this to me after our session together!...

“I am feeling more hopeful. I have reduced my antidepressant medication from 1 pill 15mg to ½ a pill. I have been sleeping soundly. I have been on a ½ pill for 6 days. I am considering getting off the medication.”

Amazing!! I was even shocked at how quickly he began to experience freedom! 

More to my own story and spirituality journey... and how it can impact your journey too!

(Download below.)

"3 Practical Steps - Hope for Your Journey"

Please note that all fields followed by an asterisk must be filled in.

Please enter the word that you see below.


merri ellen

It's my honour to share with you further - this free download. I offer it to you for hope. It’s a powerful life changing story – my story. It’s a story that could easily become your story with a happy ending too!

There is hope!

Merri Ellen :)

If you need personal Spiritual Life Coaching by me, learn more here...

Read more on Depression and Spirituality

Back to Home

Depression and Spirituality Sources:

Cloninger, C. ROBERT Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, "The science of well-being: an integrated approach to mental health and its disorders"/ Journal of World Psychiatry. 2006 June; 5(2): 71–76.

Gillham, Bill / “Depression” / November 1991 / Lifetime Guarantee Ministries / www.lifetime.org

“Joe” (Jan 8, 2002): http://www.mcmanweb.com/lifestyle-alternative.htm (accessed June 2006)

Miller, Donald / “Through Painted Deserts: Light, God and Beauty on the Open Road” / Nelson Books, 2005 / ISBN 0-7852-0982-4

Solomon, King of Israel, 700 B.C. / Proverbs 15:15-16, New International Version of the Bible

Back to Home from Depression and Spirituality